This week we’ve been talking about the School of Life and the lessons we’re learning from our Teacher. Lessons we’re meant to pass on. As we learn and grow, we look for others we can help along the way. Each and every one of us has both the privilege and the responsibility of making a difference in the lives of those around us — using the influence God has given us to teach and mentor, motivate and encourage and inspire. (Heb 10:24, 1 Thes 5:11, Titus 2)
Sometimes we need to be reminded of the difference that one life can make…
With that in mind –and to honor all our kids and teachers headed back to school this month — here are my Top Ten Teacher Movies:
1. To Sir With Love (1967) Sydney Poiter — The Mother (Father?) of All Teacher Movies! An inexperienced teacher learns how to reach wild, unruly kids in an inner city school in London.
2. The Miracle Worker (1962) Anne Bancroft, Patty Duke — The story of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan.
As far as I’m concerned, we could stop here. Selah. These two movies are so hauntingly beautiful. So powerful. So profound. Thousands of teachers have become teachers because of these stories.
But I promised you ten …
3. The Corn Is Green (1979) Katherine Hepburn — A teacher in a small Welsh mining town discovers a prodigy.
4. Remember The Titans (2000) Denzel Washington — Coaches count! Especially when they teach what Coach Boone did.
5. Christy (1994) Tyne Daly, Kellie Martin — (technically a TV series) A young teacher confronts poverty and illiteracy in the Appalachian mountains.
6. Kindergarten Cop (1990) Arnold Shwarzenegger — A tough cop learns how terrifying (and rewarding) working with 5 yr-olds can be.
7. Lean On Me (1998) Morgan Freeman — A new principal turns around a rough inner city school.
8. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) Robert Donat, Greer Garson — A quiet man makes a huge impact in his 40 years as a public school teacher in England.
9. Akeelah and the Bee (2006) Laurence Fishburne, Keke Palmer — A coach helps a gifted young girl make it to the National Spelling Bee.
10. Stand and Deliver (1988) Edward James Olmos — A high school teacher inspires his underprivileged students to master calculus.
Today’s Question: So how many of these teacher movies have you seen? What others would you add to the list?