You know that friend who has such a heart for God and always seems to be on the same page as you are, when it comes to ministry — sharing a lot of the same passion and vision — but with her own unique perspective? That friend you keep “amen-ing,” as she shares the kind of wisdom and insight you treasure?
Today I’m honored to have as my guest my dear friend, Pam Farrel. When I was writing my book What Women Should Know About Facing Fear, Pam was writing Becoming a Brave New Woman. Now I’ve written What Women Should Know About Letting It Go: Breaking Free from the Power of Guilt, Discouragement, and Defeat… and Pam’s just released Seven Simple Skills for Every Woman: Success in Keeping Everything Together — which I had the privilege of endorsing!
I love it! To me, it’s a great “next step” — a shot in the arm, for those of us ready for even more practical encouragement moving forward… (Of course, it’s also great just on its own!) I know you’ll love what she shares today (in an excerpt from her book) on getting going…
It’s one thing to talk about wanting your life to change but another to PROACTIVELY do something about it!
God gave us a few tangible reminders that action is vital to success. God told Abram to GO to a new country (Genesis 12:1); He told Jacob to GO back to his family (Genesis 31:3), GO build an altar (Genesis 35:1), and then GO to Egypt so God could make the nation great (Genesis 46:3); God told Moses to GO assemble the elders and make ready for a deliverance (Exodus 3:16) and GO tell Pharaoh to let God’s people GO out of captivity (Exodus 6:11). God told Joshua to GO consecrate the people, then GO take them to conquer the promised land (Joshua 7:13, 22:4) And there are so many more examples!
Yes, the Bible is full of commands by God to get up and GO! Jesus pronounced one of the greatest directives to the disciples and on down to each of us, “GO into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15, NIV) and as we GO, God is with us, ““And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”” (Matthew 28:19–20, NIV)
Now it’s your turn to GO get into action!
10 Ways to Get GOING on God’s Adventure for Your Life:
1. Go to art museum – While you take in the beauty, pray and ask God how you can make the world a more beautiful place.
2. Go get a mentor: Ask a woman at your church to be your spiritual mentor; hire a life coach; find a dream coach; Go to SCORE, your local Chamber of Commerce, or a women-in-business networking group and build relationships to discover a business mentor.
3. Go take a class: Write down 10 skills you wished you were better at or want to learn. Look to see if there are free (or low cost) classes offered at your local rec department, a church, or local school district or college. Try a few new interests. You can also take a skill you are a beginner at and enjoy and make it a goal to become a master at it.
4. Go assertively network: Make it a goal to spend as much time chasing the dream as you will spend living it. Get to know people in the field you are most interested in: professionals, teachers, hobbiests, mentors, those who run networks, associations, and training. The broader the network the more likely you are to discover someone who inspires, challenges, and pushes you forward toward your own goals.
5. Go expand your vision: Make a list of questions you would love God to answer (start with 100) Make it a goal to study the vastness of God (find books on the names of God, the names of Christ, the traits of God, etc). The bigger your view of God, the bigger your adventure can be!
6. Go gather a “dream team”: Invite friends who believe in you and the dream God has placed on your heart to be your dream team. Share your dreams, ideas, hopes, and goals with these women and ask them to hold you accountable for moving on them. There’s nothing like a little positive peer pressure to propel you forward.
7. Go fill your brain: Listen to inspiring movies, music, TED talks, sermons, etc. Do an internet search on leaders who care about what you care about; movies made about subjects you feel passionate about; listen to audio and video messages that will inspire and enrich your vision. Take in quality information from quality people and you can become a quality expert, too.
8. Go read blogs and books in your dream field: There’s nothing like collecting a quality library of information you can go back to when you begin working your mission. Collect books, sign up for newsletters and read blogs from experts in the area your heart is drawn to. God can refine and direct your life path as you watch how He has led others. As you collect information, you might see there is an undeveloped area of study or there are questions unanswered or that have incomplete answers and you could pick up that baton and run with it.
9. Go pray and listen to God–then do whatever God asks: As you obey God, He will trust you with bigger assignments; more responsibilities and bigger dreams and visions to move into reality.
10. Go create something tangible: Make a Dream Board. Cut and paste a collage of hopes, dreams, wishes, and prayers from magazines. You can also use your graphic talents and create something like this using an online graphics program.
Begin today praying, “God what do YOU want for my life?” Then pray God would make you brave enough to receive all He has planned for you, your life, your relationships and your future.
Pam Farrel is the author of 40 books including the bestselling Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti and her newest, Seven Simple Skills for Every Woman: Success in Keeping Everything Together. She is CoDirector of www.Love-Wise.com